Post subject: The trace level
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:12 am 

I really enjoy playing Hacker Evolution, I wish it could be explained a little better why it costs 500 dollars to release and renew your ip, when it the real world it doesn't cost anything. The only problem I have with this game is the trace. Having a trace or something like that to keep you on the edge of your seat is important, but I think it is poorly implemented because even when you crack the computer before the trace is complete your trace level increases.

I think what should be done is give the user about 20 seconds to delete records from first computer setup in the bounce before the trace level increases, if the user can remove the log entries then the trace level doesn't increase. I also think that when a person's does get caught for having a trace too high, I think there should be a ranking screen at the beginning stating the name of fallen hackers and the reason why they got caught and some statistics.

I think there should be awards too, like most computers hacked, most money stolen, fastest time completing the game(or levels), etc.

This game is really cool though, I can't wait for the next one but damnitt, I wish there was more ways to get caught rather than just your trace level. Having that edge of your seat excitement knowing you are only a few seconds from getting caught and editing the log files could really add to this game.

Just kill me for saying this.... Uplink was popular because it kinda had a eerie feel to it. Also, you could follow the story or just hack and upgrade your computer. However Uplink has so many flaws in game play(GUI) that Hacker Evolution doesn't have. This is a hacking simulation game, it is fun because it makes you scared that you might get caught, but if you have tuns of money, then you never need to worry. Ahh forget everything I said except for this one thing, the trace system needs adjustment, it isn't scary enough, it doesn't motivate me to move to the edge of my seat.

I love this game though, so please don't take my stuff as insults!:D

-Kilihari.

Post subject: Re: The trace level
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

Thank you for your oppinion. We appreciate it, and we don't take it as an insult.
We make heavy use of user oppinions when we design our games and products.

To conclude a few things. When designing the game, there are a lot of factors which I must properly balance. These are: realism, playability, fun, etc.
Offcourse, I can make the game 99% real and emulate real computers, but this would increase difficulty and decrease fun (there is no fun to spend 2 hours thinking and not playing the game, on how to hack a computer).

We are currently developing a sequel for Hacker Evolution, and you are welcomed to join the betatesting and make suggestions on how the game should be.

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:17 am 
Site Admin

I forgot to mention about being rewarded:

http://www.exosyphen.com/page_hacker-ev ... cores.html

Feel free to join :)

exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:35 pm 

You are the nicest developer I have ever met! HEHEHE, thanks! I will do that my friend. I absolutely agree with everything you said by the way. Too complex turn the game from fun to work. I will use all of my limited brain power and try to think of someway to tweak the trace meter rather than just saying it sucks. I will try to come up with options. Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

-Kilihari :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

kilihari wrote:
You are the nicest developer I have ever met! HEHEHE, thanks! I will do that my friend. I absolutely agree with everything you said by the way. Too complex turn the game from fun to work. I will use all of my limited brain power and try to think of someway to tweak the trace meter rather than just saying it sucks. I will try to come up with options. Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

-Kilihari :D

Thanks for the great words :) I do my best to be slighlty more then just a developer :)

exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:11 pm 

I agree that spending $500 to get your trace down is a little rough. I think there should be other ways to get your trace level down then spending your hard owned money. My biggest complaint is to have one of the objectives is to get your trace level below a certain percent. This takes the realism out, and makes it not fun, usually you have to sell hardware just drop the trace level that low. In fact because of that goal, i got stuck on level 6 and could not proceed because I only have 3600 and basic hardware to start out the level with making it impossible to crack anything without loosing game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

vortex30 wrote:
I agree that spending $500 to get your trace down is a little rough. I think there should be other ways to get your trace level down then spending your hard owned money. My biggest complaint is to have one of the objectives is to get your trace level below a certain percent. This takes the realism out, and makes it not fun, usually you have to sell hardware just drop the trace level that low. In fact because of that goal, i got stuck on level 6 and could not proceed because I only have 3600 and basic hardware to start out the level with making it impossible to crack anything without loosing game.

Hi,

In the new game, I am going to make at least one other alternative for reducing your trace level (ex: deleting log files from servers, etc).

exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:52 pm 

That sounds wonderful, any steps we can towards not letting the user get "stuck".