Post subject: Hacker Evolution: Duality
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:22 am 

The subject says it all, since I didn't see a sub-forum for this, I thought I'd bring up at least a topic thread on it. I highly recommend a sub-forum being created for this, for the beta testers at the least! Lots of things to say about it, all good, some constructive.

So far, I think the it's a unique take on how to play the game. It's a definite break from practice in these 'hacking' games, where it's all GUI driven, without the use of a command line to play the game. It wasn't entirely intuitive as to what was to be done--I realize it's a beta, so I'll have to assume the tutorial level would teach the basics. heh I was able to complete the one level that is there already after 1 try. Based on what I've seen, this is what I have to say:

1. I very much enjoy the upgraded graphics! Nice job there, guys. :)
2. An entirely GUI run interface is unique for the genre, and you did a pretty good job of having all the information desired available (assuming a tutorial to teach the basics, and there shouldn't be an issue with people not knowing what to do).
2.A. That said, allow any and all pop-up windows to be allowed to stay up if the player so desires.
2.B. Have the pop-up windows moveable, so they can be placed wherever on the screen.
2.C. Have the pop-up windows resizable. This allows for greater flexibility for the player.
3. I noticed at some point while playing I was unable to once again select localhost, forcing me to focus on each of the servers every 10 secs or so while waiting for the DOS and EMP attacks to replenish. Should not need to refocus like this, unless you want it as a mechanic of the game, then have it do this from the get-go so players are used to it and not have to wonder when it's allowed or not.

I'll probably have more to say when more features are available.

Cheers,
Ashen

Post subject: Re: Hacker Evolution: Duality
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

@ashen: Thank for the feedback! If you pre-purchased, let me know to grant you access to the hidden Duality forums ;)

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:19 pm 

Yeah, I did pre-purchase. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:45 am 

Yep, I pre-purchased aswell. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:01 am 

:shock: Could anyone confirm that there's no need to type in this release?

It's a pretty important change to the series. A hacking game without a command console, to me, would be like a driving game where you just had to look where you wanted to go.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:18 am 

Haemogoblin wrote:
:shock: Could anyone confirm that there's no need to type in this release?

It's a pretty important change to the series. A hacking game without a command console, to me, would be like a driving game where you just had to look where you wanted to go.

Per the beta, no, there is no command line typing involved. This could change; it could not. It's still beta.

And like I said in my first post, #2, it's still a good game regardless. Don't ignore it just because you aren't going to be typing the game. There's a unique game dynamic involved, which makes it a good game in its' own right.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:20 am 

I pre-purchased in Steam, how do I get access to the Duality forum?

Jam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:00 am 

@ashen
Though it would a bit boring if it was all just clicking on servers in a specific order to win the game. I hope there will be more.

@robert
I'd also recommend adding scrollsbars or a hint that you can actually scroll on the world map, I've been sitting the first 5 minutes around DoSing a server waiting for its firewall to get reduced until I found out that there are more servers around.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:24 am 

thanks for the reply. I'm a fan of the series so I'll likely get it anyway, I just like to know roughly what to expect :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:44 am 

I pre-ordered on Steam too, could I have access to the forums please? :)