Post subject: Why (some) hackers are stupid.....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 pm 

OK, this is the general forum and I feel like starting some discussion, so here it goes.....

What did the hackers think when they hacked into the playstation network last year, I know for a fact that most hackers love games, so why did they do that..... did they just want to stop playing games for a couple of months or are they stupid????
I know for a fact that most hackers are strategic thinkers, so where did they go wrong, or were the guys that hacked psn just kids and could psn be hacked by simple scripts?

OK, just curious to know what you guys think about this, without getting Robert too angry for starting an offtopic discussion, just because I am bored waiting for the european release of Dead Island.

Post subject: Re: Why (some) hackers are stupid.....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

The General Chat welcomes discussions on any themes :) I rarely get angry ;)

My 2 cents...
It could be because they come from a country with poor laws and they know that they can get away with it, or it was orchestrated by competitors.

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:35 pm 

robert wrote:
My 2 cents...
It could be because they come from a country with poor laws and they know that they can get away with it, or it was orchestrated by competitors.

It could be some other attack from china, that's true, but your other point made me think about microsoft hiring hackers to hack sony's network...... that almost sounds like selling your soul to the devil, but maybe with enough money, even microsoft can hire some hackers :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:55 pm 

Re the PSN Hack: I take a less 'it was corporate espionage' view and more 'it was due to boredom and angry at Sony's past bad choices (the rootkit boondoggle amongst others.)

Also as Rob said some countries have rather lax laws (I would go on a tear over how American Media are trying to hove it's interests down the world's collective throats to prop a broken copyright system... but I'm neither articulate enough nor a neutral enough party.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:49 pm 

Think that nobody is 100% neutral, not even switzerland.

But I can see where you're going to here and yes, the us wants to stuff alot of things down our throats including a democratic system where you can only vote for two people, political party's or thoughts.... yeah I know there are independent party's but they get muted by media and all kinds of campaigns by the 2 big ones.

Ofcourse china isn't the country behind this attack, would have been nice if it was, some kind of conspiracy theory.
Same goes with microsoft, because they were next on the hackers task list.
That the hackers operated from a country that has laws that give hackers the opportunity to hack, makes sense, I think that's one of the weakest points in laws across countries, or sometimes even states, the internet is an international thing and should have international laws, maybe if this happens we can actually do something about our nigerian scammer friends.

I vote for the boredom part, but they probably got real bored after sony shut psn down :P

Ah well in some way it still doesn't make sense and I really think those hackers were kids and couldn't predict the consequences of what they did here.

Has it been prooven that there was a group of hackers or was it just one single guy who did this?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 pm 

OK, I did it, hacked a computer in the US, setup a bounced connection and am able to play Dead Island......

Well this ofcourse isn't really true, but I did setup a VPN connection in the US and am able to play the game now, only have a bandwith of about 200 kbps so not really capable to go in co-op mode, but still I can play this game while living in europe :D

If anybody else has this game or has a steam account just add me to your list, my username there is radioman71

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:23 am 

Didn't the attack came after the anonymous attack earlier? I was thinking maybe just a bored person thinking that hacking after the anonymous team attack would be funny and they can run easily by blaming on anonymous.

But yeah, I hate the down time... I can't play online at the time since I only got PS3 at the time. Now I...now I had xbox360....come to think of it, it was because of that attack and the inability to play online that made me bought the xbox 360... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:55 am 

Hmmm, that brings us back to the possibility of microsoft being behind the attack. I would like to have a ps3, but right now I am still happy with my ps2, play most games on pc anyhow, I do hate it however that you can't buy a sony controller overhere for pc, while you can buy an xbox controller, which is way too big for me, in other words I just can't get used to it. Therefore I am still using a 10 year old controller, which alot of modern games don't support anymore, think it has something to do with direct input and x-input or something like that.
I have been to a computer shop a couple of times to look for a controller and also to feel how they feel while holding them, but none of the computershops actually sell them except in their online shops. I must say that I am thinking about buying an xbox controller, but I just don't know how this feels, probably the only guy on this forum who has never ever played on the xbox, it has a good thing that it is supported on any game I have.
Well in the end there is only one thing I can do, buy the controller and play with it for a while...... Maybe somebody here can help me with the question, does this wireless model work and can you get some solution where you can easilly recharge the batteries, if that is even possible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:08 pm 

So this might be off topic, sorry about that.

I can say that xbox 360 controllers are better for my grip, but it might be different for other people. I've played back and forth between ps3 controller and xbox 360 controller and the xbox 360 are way better.

For xbox 360 controller, the wireless one, you need a wireless receiver adapter (or something like that) and plug it on your USB drive. If it's the wired one, then you just need to plug and play into your USB.

For the batteries, they do sell a rechargeable battery pack separately, look something like a big square. You can charge it by plugging it into your USB port. But remember, this does not make your controller a wired controller!

Btw, PS3 controller can be sync with the bluetooth of a Mac and you can use it as it is. The trick is to plug a USB while the bluetooth is searching then unplug it again. Don't know on the PC though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:21 pm 

Don't worry about being off topic, Robert is fine with that, up to a certain degree I guess, but we are not discussing any perfume overhere, still talking about games.

What you're saying there is interesting though, first of all the rechargable battery pack, is this an optional component you have to attach to your controller. and will it feel different while holding it? Also you said that it won't be a wired controller, does that mean you can't use the controller if you are charging it?

The bluetooth part, are you saying here, that the receiver actually is a bluetooth receiver or what?