Post subject: AI Spamming Attacks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:09 pm 

Hi there,

I'm a little confused at the moment, AI contolled servers, as soon as you touch them, they start an attack countdown and when it reaches 0, they send their attacks. Why is this? On mission 1, you need a trojan (and bounce servers) before you can get anywhere, the ONLY two machines available are the two AI bots. But as soon as you touch them they start attacking you. Each attack brings your CPU/Firewall down and within 4 minutes, you're down to 0 CPU's and 0 Firewalls. I'm really confused.

I've been playing the hacker evolution games since they launched on steam and I've loved them both. But this one, uh uh, it hasn't been at all a pleasant experience. There's no manual to explain the workings of any of the buttons. Now I've managed to put two and two together with that option that makes the mouse sticky, but just figuring out that I was supposed to EXACTLY align the bandwidth for a DOS attack was rediculous, took me 30 minutes of scouring the net and trying different tactics. The description for the DOS attack says, Quote, "at least the same", not "exactly the same". That means >= not ==. I think you have a typo in your source.

There's a ton of things bugging me about this new release, like the fact that it's impossible to do an EMP trace sometimes without getting some % of trace against you depending on where the sattelite starts, etc. It's almost like this itteration of HE is pitted against the player from the very start and luck just plays FAR too much for my liking.

And what's the console for? Did you forget to set the visibility for it or does it actually serve some sort of purpose later?

Next to Introversion you guys are my favorite indie. Don't kill the fans guys. I love hacking games and I love a challenge, but what I really don't like is a game that replaces "challenging" with "frustrating"

Post subject: Re: AI Spamming Attacks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:19 pm 

The manual is coming today at some point I believe from reading what Robert posted yesterday , people were itching to get their hands on the full game so he was kind enough to get the product out the door to us rather than making us wait a little so the manual was ready too.

As for the AI bots , im not 100% sure the best way to deal with them at the moment but from what I have read on here , sending them a little money once they are hostile makes them a little more friendly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:14 pm 

Thanks for the reply, there's no way to send money, there's just a transfer button that lets you bring in money (if they have any). There was a file on the one terminal that had some money that said to leave the money. But the bot is already on the war path, just for touching him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:21 pm 

if they don't have money you can click on the transfer button (and only if they have zero) to give them ALL (and only ALL because just giving them a amount which you decide would give the player too much freedom?) your money.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

The AI controlled servers are opponents. Like in any games.

I made a lot of last minute changes and I need to go through the manual to update it, so it wasn't ready by the time the game was.

It is coming today ;)

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:43 am 

Ok, I get that, but what I don't get is, a CPU/Firewall is 5k, they whipe out 20k's worth of CPU's and Firewalls in 4 minutes, unless you're supposed to hack them first and finish the mission without a single CPU/Firewall, it doesn't make any sense since you'll only collect 10-20k in the mission (just a guess here).

So unless you start each new mission with a set of CPU's/Firewalls, it's impossible to get anywhere.

Maybe it's just me but nothing in the first mission is making any sense at all. Are you supposed to hack and slash the mission within 2-3 minutes or something? You have a 30 minute deadline, being forced to complete it in 2-3 minutes just doesn't do it for me. I'm a careful calculated person, not some overzealous 12 year old.

Hacking in real life is careful and calculated, it's not some cowboy show. Cowboys get caught.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:44 pm 

i agree, the ai spam attacks are annoying and you're suppose to be some kind of an elite hacker that cannot stop an incoming attack...pfftttt...whatever, this game blows. maybe u guys should think about some kind of formula that would make the ai have to go through each bounce link first before being able to attack u...that would buy sometime...that or an upgrade besides these 3 generic upgrades that would make dos/emps load faster or some kind of device that stops/redirects incoming ai attacks...im stuck on mission 2 myself on easy for the simple fact that the ai hackers start attacking me before I can even finish hacking into the bank...the ai attackers shouldnt attack unless provoked...i didnt even try to connect to them just a bounce server below and they started in on me....wtf.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

99% of games on the market have opponents. Let's remove them.
I would love to play COD or NFS ... alone.

The game is not "impossible".
If you approach it in a strategic way, and not "let's buy hardware and nuke things".

exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:55 am 

not saying remove, they just need nerfed down so its more logical....its not logical if your using 4 bounce servers that an ai hacker (or any hacker for that matter) could just go right straight to your server and attack...obviously he'd have to get through all the other servers first to find you...common sense...since this is suppose to be "hacker simulation".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

bradb2011 wrote:
not saying remove, they just need nerfed down so its more logical....its not logical if your using 4 bounce servers that an ai hacker (or any hacker for that matter) could just go right straight to your server and attack...obviously he'd have to get through all the other servers first to find you...common sense...since this is suppose to be "hacker simulation".

They only attack if they can. The same logic applies to them as to the player.
For instance, if you firewall is greater than theirs, they can't hack it and steal your money.

The best tactic against the AI controlled servers (in single player) is to use them for bounces/cash until you get to an unhackable server, then destroy them.

Take "The Deal" level for instance.
You need to bounce through them to hack the Bank of Cayman. When you did that, destroy them, and you can continued to level without being attacked.

exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!