Post subject: Re: AI Spamming Attacks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:57 pm 

robert wrote:
They only attack if they can. The same logic applies to them as to the player.
For instance, if you firewall is greater than theirs, they can't hack it and steal your money.

The best tactic against the AI controlled servers (in single player) is to use them for bounces/cash until you get to an unhackable server, then destroy them.

I'm getting spammed by AI attacks in level 1 as well. I'm not sure what you mean about 'getting to' an un-hackable server: if the AI really follows the same rules as the player they can launch EMP and DOS attacks to wear you down regardless of your firewall level or links, which is exactly what is happening.

I also compared my run through with the sample video on the Duality website. In the video the AIs have an attack count-down of about 231 seconds, and they launch their attacks against other severs rather than the player. On my attempt (set to easy level) they had a countdown of 160 seconds and attacked me every chance they had. There was no chance to finish the level before getting destroyed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Here are some tips:

- Don't hack them unless you really need it too.
- Only bounce through them if really needed (it increases their hostility). For instance, you hacked 2 AI servers. Only bounce through one, if the time is sufficient.

Tricks:
- Upload cash to their server if you have it. It decreases their hostility. You can take it back later (but the opposite will happen).

For instance, there are cases where you hack 2 AI controlled servers because you need to bounce through them to hack a 3rd server. When that is done, destroy them.

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:32 pm 

Even if you try to come up with a strategy to avoid the AIs, they still spontaneously turn hostile and start attacking anyway. Also you say 'destroy them' as if that is a simple thing. Maybe I'm missing a trick, but they start with 10 integrity which means you need to launch 3 rounds of DOS / EMP attacks to take them out, with a long recharge between each round. Meanwhile, the more you attack, the higher the hostility goes and the faster the counter attacks come.

I'm not saying having opponents in the game is a bad thing, I just think the balance is off. If they had longer attack countdowns, or occasionally targeted other severs like it shows in the video, you would at least have a chance. Clearly something changed since then.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

You are one of the very few that have trouble bypassing them.

If it's any help, I can help you cheat the game a bit (increase your Integrity level).

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!