Post subject: linux music problem
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:39 am 

Hi. I just downloaded the demo, and because this seems like it could be a pretty fun game, wanted to let you know about a bug I found. I'm running slackware 64 bit, and when I open the game it doesn't play any music. Sound effects are fine, but if I try to change the music volume, I get a segfault. I've included the last part of my console error messages, which are basically a loop of these 4 until I tried to change the volume, at which point you can see the segfault. I checked, and the file is where it should be, and can be played with other programs.

(hedSound.cpp)hedSoundManager::PLAY - (0)(hed-music/HEDuality-OST-time_is_up_-_duality.mp3)
(hedSound.cpp)hedSoundManager::PlayList_Play() - playing track (hed-music/HEDuality-OST-time_is_up_-_duality.mp3)
(hedSound.cpp)hedSoundManager::PlayList_Play() - error loading track (Couldn't read from 'hed-music/HEDuality-OST-time_is_up_-_duality.mp3')(0)
(hedSound.cpp)hedSoundManager::PlayList_Play() - error playing track (music parameter was NULL)
Segmentation fault

Post subject: Re: linux music problem
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:31 am 

Check the permissions of the HED game folder.
You can try running it as root, if it works then it's definetly a permissions issue.
To change it, just run:
chown your_username:users -R hed_folder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:38 pm 

I tried running as root, and i've discovered this problem actually occurs every time the game needs to access a file. during the tutorial when i receive the first message the window that pops up says file not found and the game crashes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:45 pm 

emptypockets304 wrote:
I tried running as root, and i've discovered this problem actually occurs every time the game needs to access a file. during the tutorial when i receive the first message the window that pops up says file not found and the game crashes.

Hmm, make sure your HED folder doesn't contain any whitespace in the name, I remember I had to do this when the first Linux version came out (I don't know if this have been fixed afterwards)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:06 pm 

here's the output from the actual log file, copied and pasted from emacs. I also made sure there was no white space.

؆hedSound.cpp؇hedSoundManager::PLAY - ؆1؇؆hed-music/HEDuality-OST-analysis-complete.mp3؇
؆hedSound.cpp؇hedSoundManager::PlayList_Play؆؇ - playing track ؆hed-music/HEDuality-OST-analysis-complete.mp3؇
؆hedSound.cpp؇hedSoundManager::PlayList_Play؆؇ - error loading track ؆Module format not recognized؇؆1؇
؆hedSound.cpp؇hedSoundManager::PlayList_Play؆؇ - error playing track ؆music parameter was NULL؇

you can see how the third line says "Module format not recognized," which is a change from the console error text.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:05 am 

emptypockets304 wrote:
here's the output from the actual log file, copied and pasted from emacs. I also made sure there was no white space.

؆hedSound.cpp؇hedSoundManager::PLAY - ؆1؇؆hed-music/HEDuality-OST-analysis-complete.mp3؇
؆hedSound.cpp؇hedSoundManager::PlayList_Play؆؇ - playing track ؆hed-music/HEDuality-OST-analysis-complete.mp3؇
؆hedSound.cpp؇hedSoundManager::PlayList_Play؆؇ - error loading track ؆Module format not recognized؇؆1؇
؆hedSound.cpp؇hedSoundManager::PlayList_Play؆؇ - error playing track ؆music parameter was NULL؇

you can see how the third line says "Module format not recognized," which is a change from the console error text.

Do you have the SDL_mixer package installed?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

You need to install libSDL.

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!