Post subject: Encryption Key puzzles: Designed not always to be scrambled?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:55 am 

I'm just curious. After many tries at the notorious Metalion level, I noticed that occasionally -- maybe one time in five -- the numbers sequence in the grid is not scrambled and the keys can be unlocked sequentially by going up and down the columns. Amazingly, I eventually got to beat the level when both encryption puzzles were unscrambled in the same run-through. At first I felt bad because it seemed that I might have benefited from a flaw in the code but then I began to wonder if Robert programmed the encryption algorythms like this to combat the extreme difficulty of the levels, especially this one, involving this type of puzzle. Robert, would you care to comment?

I'm now on the final level. FWIW, I am very impressed with HED. It's certainly rather unforgiving but the gameplay is ingeniously conceived, it's well constructed and it "plays fair", i.e. it establishes a persistent -- if somewhat rigorous -- form of logic which the player needs to comprehend and which makes the game winnable with some skill, sound tactics, a bit of quick thinking, much practice and (see above) occasional blind luck... The difficulty arises from the rigor of this logic rather than scripting or other arbitrary impositions. Each level is really well designed and balanced, with careful thought having been given to the resources awarded/available to the player and the specific challenges he faces. The traps keep the player on his feet. I like the way certain levels are timed and others not, ditto limitations on Trace Level and the need to think carefully about how and when to allocate finite recources of cash on hardware. Above all, HED accomplishes something which so many more expensively produced AAA games do not, for all their eye-candy, which is to present a compelling and varied array of tactical choices to the player. I'm not sure if it's true of all the levels in the single-player game but some of them appear to me to be winnable by different approaches; genuinely non-linear gameplay is a very rare thing indeed these days.

Post subject: Re: Encryption Key puzzles: Designed not always to be scrambled?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hello, and welcome to our forum.

The numbers being unscrambled is a bug. I haven't noticed it, but I will look into it.

Thank you for the great words. It's what keeps me going.
Indeed, one of my main objectives was to offer non-linear gameplay.
If you replay the game, you will pretty much have to follow the same steps, but not exactly.

Stick around. More levels and features are coming very soon in a big update.

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

Post subject: Re: Encryption Key puzzles: Designed not always to be scramb
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:57 pm 

robert wrote:
Stick around. More levels and features are coming very soon in a big update.

Any ETA on this by chance?

Post subject: Re: Encryption Key puzzles: Designed not always to be scramb
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Admin

This month.

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!