Post subject: Hacker Evolution Level 2 - Illogical Progression
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:28 pm 

To whom it may concern:

While playing Hacker Evolution, I noticed a problem with Level 2.

I understand that one of the objectives calls for you to find the server that created the user profile "tjohn." There is no connection log on the xenti.com server, so you can't simply check to see which server connected to it in order to create a profile. The connection log from the control center shows that the attack on the control center came from terminal 83, which is the same server that attacked the ny-exchange server in the previous level. I know that the way to achieve the objective is to scan for terminal 84, but the point I'm making is that there is no information that logically points you to this server. In fact, the only place this server is mentioned is in the connection log for the control center, and it is simply listed as an incoming connection (there are other servers listed the same way - nothing suspicious at all). If you scan for terminal 84, the objective is completed, but the fact that terminal 84 shows up when you scan for it should not confirm for your character that it was the server that created the "tjohn" profile. The walkthrough for this level states that you should know that terminal 84 is the one to scan for because your contact at FSA states that the two attacks were from the same source. The contact is right, but you already know this because you remember that the first attack was from terminal 83, which is the same terminal that is shown attacking the control center in the connection log. The FSA contact should be referring to terminal 83. Terminal 84 comes out of nowhere, and the only way you know it's correct is because the objective becomes checked off after you scan for it arbitrarily. This seems illogical to me, and I know this is a "nitpicky" comment, but I feel that logical progression makes the game more realistic. What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Hacker Evolution Level 2 - Illogical Progression
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

There is a logical connection :)
Have you looked closely? We paid quite a lot of attention to details in designing the levels.

P.S: Welcome to our forums, and comment are always more than welcomed :)

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:52 pm 

Hmmm... Perhaps I'm just missing it. What is the connection?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:43 am 
Site Admin

Try progressing further into the game.
There are some elements that don't make "sense", but they become obvious at a later point.

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:59 pm 

There is a mention to terminal-84 in the level. Make sure inspect every line of every file using the "cat" command on every server, and you'll come across it eventually. (remember connecting to servers on different ports gives you access to different files)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:56 pm 

I just played that level (yes, I'm awfully late !).

And I absolutely didn't understand either. The only mention I saw of terminal-84 was in the connection.log of the control center.

Maybe there was something in the trojan but I deleted it and there was no way to find it again (apart from restarting the level, which is pretty dull).

So, you say it might make sense later on, but aren't we supposed to understand the logic as we play ? I entered a nearly random server name and it just worked. Oo
Does the main character have a special power that make him know he found the right server just like that ? :p

My question is : what was the exact logical thinking that might have lead me to know for sure that terminal-84 was the server from where somebody created the tjohn profile on xenti.com ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:52 pm 

I finished the game and I still can't see a logical connection. But then it was like this during all the game. It's more of an observation game than a logic game. Which is fine once you know it.

Overall I think the game is nice, but the numerous dead-ends are a real downside.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:14 am 

Kyp wrote:
I just played that level (yes, I'm awfully late !).

And I absolutely didn't understand either. The only mention I saw of terminal-84 was in the connection.log of the control center.

Maybe there was something in the trojan but I deleted it and there was no way to find it again (apart from restarting the level, which is pretty dull).

So, you say it might make sense later on, but aren't we supposed to understand the logic as we play ? I entered a nearly random server name and it just worked. Oo
Does the main character have a special power that make him know he found the right server just like that ? :p

My question is : what was the exact logical thinking that might have lead me to know for sure that terminal-84 was the server from where somebody created the tjohn profile on xenti.com ?

You didnt enter a random server name , once you cat the connection log at the bank it shows you all the terminals that have connected to it.

You already know terminal-83 so when you scan the only other terminal ( 84 ) you discover it completing objective 4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:58 pm 

No, it's not "random" because the name appears somewhere. But I have absolutely no way of knowing that this server is the one I'm looking for. It's in a completely unrelated connection log.