Post subject: exploits and ideas
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:27 pm 

Thanks for mailing me about new beta. I just tried it and found two 'things':
First of all when using exploits you get less trace but you cannot remove them with <deletelogs> command. That makes them less useful, becouse you can reduce trace got by cracking for free.
Secondly how about making 'endlevel' command instead of contdown? This way we could explore level after it's completed or have more time to lower our tracelevel.

And I don't think we should describe all bugs in one topic. Let's make a new topic for each issue so betatesters won't repeat themselves and Robert will have easier work. There's already about 5 posts 'Typo in message!'

Post subject: Re: exploits and ideas
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Trace can also be reduced by using the killtrace command. This just adds variety to the game :)

I will also see about the possibility to "manually" end a level, to allow you time to explore it.

Don't worry about the topics on bugs ... I keep track of them quite easily.

Software developer and Forum admin
exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:05 pm 

I know they can be reduced by killtrace, but then you lose money. I meant that why bother finding exploits if cracking is better, becouse you don't have to waste money on killtrace. I think that exploits are meant to be better than cracking, just like in Evolution. Now they are worse.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:33 pm 

I would say to have exploits return to the preferred way to avoid trace level.

I would also like to see deletelogs toned down in power. If not that then create separate logging servers that have to be individually hacked in addition to the regular ones.

Also, I know its probably not currently supported, but instead of having to delete red on the stoplight it would be cooler if it was just one file that you somehow had to edit in order to win.

Have it say something like
Wait 15
Switch Green
Wait 15
Switch Yellow
Wait 15
Switch Red

And have the players delete everything but the last line somehow or have them change the first line to Wait 15,000 or something.

Raiddinn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:19 pm 

I believe that the deletelogs feature is quite amazing and would vote to not reducing it's power because it allows you to have enough money left over to buy more advanced hardware. Without this feature you end up having to sell your hardware just to reduce your trace level, you see this in the previous game hacker evolution. However if you had to reduce it I would say PLEASE do not reduce it more then a few %.

I also totally agree with allowing the user to explore the servers afterwards and not having the level end immediately.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:13 pm 

I don't believe I ever had to sell my hardware in the previous versions in order to get my trace level low enough. I just never bought more hardware than I needed to begin with. That spared enough to kill traces.

I imagine this will probably not be that different, and I would kinda like it to stay close to the same way if possible.

Raiddinn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

@RaiddinnRZ: Indeed. The aim of the game is not have the best hardware. It really has no use to buy more then you need.
However, adding file edit capabilities to the game is pretty complex. Implementing a file editor is a lot of code overhead which can also turn into a potential security issue.
As you have seen, there is plenty of room for ingenuity in the game, without the need to go to extremes :)

@vortex30: The amount of trace that is reduced by the deletelogs command will be changed.

exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:58 pm 

Awww, ok robert:( Don't cripple the deletelogs feature too much tho lol /me = scared

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

vortex30 wrote:
Awww, ok robert:( Don't cripple the deletelogs feature too much tho lol /me = scared

Hey .... you asked for it :) It's wasn't my idea :)

exosyphen studios.

Join us on FaceBook!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:47 am 

robert wrote:
However, adding file edit capabilities to the game is pretty complex. Implementing a file editor is a lot of code overhead which can also turn into a potential security issue.

Fair enough. Still, maybe we should have to delete green and yellow instead of red or something. It just seems wrong that deleting red means it stays red.

Raiddinn